Saturday, March 12, 2005
Saved by the Old 97's, two nights in a row.
I love the Old 97's so very, very much.
So yesterday was pretty much the worst day ever, what with lawyer issues, no car, no graduating in May, and the less-than-ideal doctor's visit. Things started to pick up with a trip to Cool Bean's to congratulate Rich on his successful defense and some dinner hijinks that culminated with a dinner at Christina's house, but without Christina there. All this merriment and enchildadas made me succeptible to more bad luck apparently, as when Patrick and I were leaving C-Tina's to head to Dallas to see the 97's, I completely stepped in a hole and twisted my ankle up pretty badly. I wasn't going to let some pain and a goofy limp stop me from seeing Rhett, Murray, Philip and Ken, so we headed on down.
The show was phenomenal. Wonderful. They played a few tunes I hadn't heard live, lots of stuff from the older albums (including a few tracks off Hitchike to Rhome, their first album), and the absolute best version of "House that Used to Be" that I have ever heard. That one tune alone was worth the trip. Fortunately for me, the Lakewood (a venue I'd never been to before) is an old movie theater, complete with seats. While I could never sit during a 97's show, it did allow me to stand on one foot and rest my hurt foot up on the seat cushion behind me. The show was a benefit for David Cunniff, the man who was beaten at a 97's show at the Tea Room last summer. (very condensed version is that a skinhead guy was waved in by some doorman and ended up beating Mr. Cunniff, who was there with his teenage daughters) He was pretty badly injured (though he's able to walk again now) and didn't have any insurance, so the show last night was all to raise money for him. The place was packed, and there was also a silent auction going on as well. It looks like they probably raised a lot of money last night, which is awesome.
So to recap yesterday- mostly very bad, picked up, went south, ended very happily.
Then comes today.
My foot felt super way better when I woke up this morning, so I took Peanut to the vet and then for a walk. About a block into the walk, I realized that my foot really wasn't feeling all that better. By the time I got into the shower, I was in pain. By the time I got out of the shower, I was in extreme pain. Additionally, Peanut's visit ended up running into the triple digits due to her allergy shot and pills plus her flea treatment. See where this is going? Saturday sucks so far. Next on the agenda was going for try two of the job interview that I was on my way to when I got hit by the gravel truck. I was about fifteen minutes late though, and the lady had already left. She had tried to work me in before she took off on vacation this afternoon, so her schedule was pretty tight. So let's think about this. I got hit by a truck on my way to to the first attempt of an interview, and then I miss the second one all together. All because I want an extra job so that I can save up some money. At this point, Saturday officially sucks.
Things got better afterwards though, as Patrick and I went to Grapevine to hang out with Kathleen and do some yardwork with her. Due to my by now visibly swollen ankle, I couldn't help too much. That may have been better in the long run as I'm pretty adept at killing plants. Patrick and Kathleen made the yard look awesome. Patrick dug out a million huge bushes with crazy tangled roots. All but one made it out whole. That one never saw the axe coming though. While they were working outside, I hung out with little Owen, and even changed a diaper successfully. Well, mostly successfully. I did use one that was the wrong size, but Kathleen says I didn't hurt him. Owen said there's no hard feelings, so that's good. Well, I think that's what he would have said if he could talk. Really his super cute smile said it all.
But what really saved Saturday from being chalked up as bad? (no offense to Kathleen and Patrick, because I had fun hanging out, but my foot really hurts) When I got home, I had mail. But not just any mail. I had a DVD compilation of a bunch of Old 97's tv appearances from 1998 - 2002. It is fabulous. Wonderful. I've just barely scratched the surface, but so far my favorite nugget of amazingness would be the full length video for "Jagged" that is in the 120 Minutes with Rhett. I've only ever seen the ten second snippet that the mtv.com site has. I have never ever seen the full-length video. There's also tons of live footage on here. I put it on about an hour ago and haven't budged since. I am so in my happy place.
Here's to hoping for a better Sunday.
I shall leave you with a bit from one of my favorite 97's tunes, "Stoned."
(wait- who am I kidding? they're all my favorite tunes, really.)
Take a letter to God. "Dear Sir: I'm dissatisfied.
Well it ain't your fault they keep pouring salt on my heart.
All I need is a brief reprieve. I keep leaving. I ain't gettin' nowhere."
*addendum to my pity party*
Just did my taxes and owe the feds money. Sunday now sucks as well.
So yesterday was pretty much the worst day ever, what with lawyer issues, no car, no graduating in May, and the less-than-ideal doctor's visit. Things started to pick up with a trip to Cool Bean's to congratulate Rich on his successful defense and some dinner hijinks that culminated with a dinner at Christina's house, but without Christina there. All this merriment and enchildadas made me succeptible to more bad luck apparently, as when Patrick and I were leaving C-Tina's to head to Dallas to see the 97's, I completely stepped in a hole and twisted my ankle up pretty badly. I wasn't going to let some pain and a goofy limp stop me from seeing Rhett, Murray, Philip and Ken, so we headed on down.
The show was phenomenal. Wonderful. They played a few tunes I hadn't heard live, lots of stuff from the older albums (including a few tracks off Hitchike to Rhome, their first album), and the absolute best version of "House that Used to Be" that I have ever heard. That one tune alone was worth the trip. Fortunately for me, the Lakewood (a venue I'd never been to before) is an old movie theater, complete with seats. While I could never sit during a 97's show, it did allow me to stand on one foot and rest my hurt foot up on the seat cushion behind me. The show was a benefit for David Cunniff, the man who was beaten at a 97's show at the Tea Room last summer. (very condensed version is that a skinhead guy was waved in by some doorman and ended up beating Mr. Cunniff, who was there with his teenage daughters) He was pretty badly injured (though he's able to walk again now) and didn't have any insurance, so the show last night was all to raise money for him. The place was packed, and there was also a silent auction going on as well. It looks like they probably raised a lot of money last night, which is awesome.
So to recap yesterday- mostly very bad, picked up, went south, ended very happily.
Then comes today.
My foot felt super way better when I woke up this morning, so I took Peanut to the vet and then for a walk. About a block into the walk, I realized that my foot really wasn't feeling all that better. By the time I got into the shower, I was in pain. By the time I got out of the shower, I was in extreme pain. Additionally, Peanut's visit ended up running into the triple digits due to her allergy shot and pills plus her flea treatment. See where this is going? Saturday sucks so far. Next on the agenda was going for try two of the job interview that I was on my way to when I got hit by the gravel truck. I was about fifteen minutes late though, and the lady had already left. She had tried to work me in before she took off on vacation this afternoon, so her schedule was pretty tight. So let's think about this. I got hit by a truck on my way to to the first attempt of an interview, and then I miss the second one all together. All because I want an extra job so that I can save up some money. At this point, Saturday officially sucks.
Things got better afterwards though, as Patrick and I went to Grapevine to hang out with Kathleen and do some yardwork with her. Due to my by now visibly swollen ankle, I couldn't help too much. That may have been better in the long run as I'm pretty adept at killing plants. Patrick and Kathleen made the yard look awesome. Patrick dug out a million huge bushes with crazy tangled roots. All but one made it out whole. That one never saw the axe coming though. While they were working outside, I hung out with little Owen, and even changed a diaper successfully. Well, mostly successfully. I did use one that was the wrong size, but Kathleen says I didn't hurt him. Owen said there's no hard feelings, so that's good. Well, I think that's what he would have said if he could talk. Really his super cute smile said it all.
But what really saved Saturday from being chalked up as bad? (no offense to Kathleen and Patrick, because I had fun hanging out, but my foot really hurts) When I got home, I had mail. But not just any mail. I had a DVD compilation of a bunch of Old 97's tv appearances from 1998 - 2002. It is fabulous. Wonderful. I've just barely scratched the surface, but so far my favorite nugget of amazingness would be the full length video for "Jagged" that is in the 120 Minutes with Rhett. I've only ever seen the ten second snippet that the mtv.com site has. I have never ever seen the full-length video. There's also tons of live footage on here. I put it on about an hour ago and haven't budged since. I am so in my happy place.
Here's to hoping for a better Sunday.
I shall leave you with a bit from one of my favorite 97's tunes, "Stoned."
(wait- who am I kidding? they're all my favorite tunes, really.)
Take a letter to God. "Dear Sir: I'm dissatisfied.
Well it ain't your fault they keep pouring salt on my heart.
All I need is a brief reprieve. I keep leaving. I ain't gettin' nowhere."
*addendum to my pity party*
Just did my taxes and owe the feds money. Sunday now sucks as well.