Friday, January 14, 2005
This reminds me of a cartoon.
I don't know if I'm supposed to giggle at how funny some of the ideas that our top scientists at the Pentagon had for non-lethal chemical weapons, or if I should actually admire them for coming up with creative ways to disarm the enemy without killing/maiming them. Either way, I enjoyed this article about rejected chemical weapons ideas from the New Scientist.
"THE Pentagon considered developing a host of non-lethal chemical weapons that would disrupt discipline and morale among enemy troops, newly declassified documents reveal.
Most bizarre among the plans was one for the development of an "aphrodisiac" chemical weapon that would make enemy soldiers sexually irresistible to each other. Provoking widespread homosexual behaviour among troops would cause a "distasteful but completely non-lethal" blow to morale, the proposal says.
Other ideas included chemical weapons that attract swarms of enraged wasps or angry rats to troop positions, making them uninhabitable. Another was to develop a chemical that caused "severe and lasting halitosis", making it easy to identify guerrillas trying to blend in with civilians. There was also the idea of making troops' skin unbearably sensitive to sunlight.
The proposals, from the US Air Force Wright Laboratory in Dayton, Ohio, date from 1994. The lab sought Pentagon funding for research into what it called "harassing, annoying and 'bad guy'-identifying chemicals". The plans have been posted online by the Sunshine Project, an organisation that exposes research into chemical and biological weapons.
Spokesman Edward Hammond says it was not known if the proposed $7.5 million, six-year research plan was ever pursued."
-------------------------
In case you're wondering how long I've been an avid reader of New Scientist, I'd have to come clean and tell you that I got the link from Drudge. Yes, I'm out. I read the Drudge Report. But come on- where else do you find the good stuff like this all compiled for your reading pleasure?
I think my favorite is definitely the sex bomb. In fact, I've had that song in my head ever since I read the article. If I were really fancy (and tacky) I'd find a way to upload a midi file of that song so that it'd be like a multimedia experience for my four loyal readers. But I won't.
"THE Pentagon considered developing a host of non-lethal chemical weapons that would disrupt discipline and morale among enemy troops, newly declassified documents reveal.
Most bizarre among the plans was one for the development of an "aphrodisiac" chemical weapon that would make enemy soldiers sexually irresistible to each other. Provoking widespread homosexual behaviour among troops would cause a "distasteful but completely non-lethal" blow to morale, the proposal says.
Other ideas included chemical weapons that attract swarms of enraged wasps or angry rats to troop positions, making them uninhabitable. Another was to develop a chemical that caused "severe and lasting halitosis", making it easy to identify guerrillas trying to blend in with civilians. There was also the idea of making troops' skin unbearably sensitive to sunlight.
The proposals, from the US Air Force Wright Laboratory in Dayton, Ohio, date from 1994. The lab sought Pentagon funding for research into what it called "harassing, annoying and 'bad guy'-identifying chemicals". The plans have been posted online by the Sunshine Project, an organisation that exposes research into chemical and biological weapons.
Spokesman Edward Hammond says it was not known if the proposed $7.5 million, six-year research plan was ever pursued."
-------------------------
In case you're wondering how long I've been an avid reader of New Scientist, I'd have to come clean and tell you that I got the link from Drudge. Yes, I'm out. I read the Drudge Report. But come on- where else do you find the good stuff like this all compiled for your reading pleasure?
I think my favorite is definitely the sex bomb. In fact, I've had that song in my head ever since I read the article. If I were really fancy (and tacky) I'd find a way to upload a midi file of that song so that it'd be like a multimedia experience for my four loyal readers. But I won't.
Comments:
<< Home
We've been thinking of odd ways of discrediting and/or disposing of our enemies for quite some time. The most famous non-starter was the CIA's plot to ruin Fidel Castro's Latin machismo by slipping chemical compounds into some of his personal effects that would result in his beard falling out. (Disclaimer: I don't claim Parascope is anything other than good laughs 99% of the time.)
Is it really any wonder that our government, the same government that spends hundreds of dollars on "toilet enclosures" and billions on poorly-planned clunky military intranets, would consider plans to spend millions to look into chemical or biological weapons to make our enemies on the battlefield fall into a mass of sweaty soldiers engaging in "the special hug?"
There's some historical precendent for this not being a good idea if you're looking to demoralize your enemy. Oh the classics! Where art thou?
~Patrick
Post a Comment
Is it really any wonder that our government, the same government that spends hundreds of dollars on "toilet enclosures" and billions on poorly-planned clunky military intranets, would consider plans to spend millions to look into chemical or biological weapons to make our enemies on the battlefield fall into a mass of sweaty soldiers engaging in "the special hug?"
There's some historical precendent for this not being a good idea if you're looking to demoralize your enemy. Oh the classics! Where art thou?
~Patrick
<< Home
