Wednesday, January 05, 2005
So we got to the Hong Kong Market, and these lovely dead brown sort of cooked ducks hanging by their necks were waiting to greet us. These little guys (girls?) were in a smaller/separate part of the market. Once we left this part, I breathed through my mouth for the remainder of our journey through the Market.
The highlights are as follows:
Aisle 8. Definitely.
-The deli/aquarium. So many critters, not many of them dead yet.
-I know where to go if you're looking for a pint of cow's blood.
-The beverage aisle- aloe vera drinks. egg yolk drinks. lychee (so yucky if you've been to the Coca Cola museum in Atlanta), and some other awful ones that I have blocked out due to the trauma. (little sister- if you read this and remember more, please add them in the comments)
-A whole row of jars of things with heads still on them. (and they were all staring at me)
-Bags of freeze-dried squid and shrimp. Think beef jerky, but even grosser.
and the grand finale...
-Balut. In English, that would be "duck embryo." Well, that may not be a direct translation, but balut is pretty much a fertilized duck egg that you drop into boiling water and make into soup. I'm seriously not trying to be a cultural imperialist or anything, but... YUCK.
I seriously thought this stuff was only in movies.
And so that is the story of my adventures in the Asian market. I can pretty much guarantee that there won't be a sequel any time soon.
ps I'm still getting the hang of posting pictures on this thing. hopefully I'll figure out how to get it all down to one entry.
The highlights are as follows:
Aisle 8. Definitely.
-The deli/aquarium. So many critters, not many of them dead yet.
-I know where to go if you're looking for a pint of cow's blood.
-The beverage aisle- aloe vera drinks. egg yolk drinks. lychee (so yucky if you've been to the Coca Cola museum in Atlanta), and some other awful ones that I have blocked out due to the trauma. (little sister- if you read this and remember more, please add them in the comments)
-A whole row of jars of things with heads still on them. (and they were all staring at me)
-Bags of freeze-dried squid and shrimp. Think beef jerky, but even grosser.
and the grand finale...
-Balut. In English, that would be "duck embryo." Well, that may not be a direct translation, but balut is pretty much a fertilized duck egg that you drop into boiling water and make into soup. I'm seriously not trying to be a cultural imperialist or anything, but... YUCK.
I seriously thought this stuff was only in movies.
And so that is the story of my adventures in the Asian market. I can pretty much guarantee that there won't be a sequel any time soon.
ps I'm still getting the hang of posting pictures on this thing. hopefully I'll figure out how to get it all down to one entry.
Comments:
<< Home
Give a hoot, don't Balut!
Meat with feet! Eggs with legs!
We really don't have any cartoon representations of products you eat here in the U.S.; yes, I can think of some like Tony the Tiger (Frosted Flakes), but come on...it's cereal, not tiger chunks.
Downstairs Patrick (as I am Upstairs, or Bourgeois, Patrick) put me on to Balut Baby, the cartoon character for all your fertilized duck egg needs.
~(Bourgeois) Patrick
Post a Comment
Meat with feet! Eggs with legs!
We really don't have any cartoon representations of products you eat here in the U.S.; yes, I can think of some like Tony the Tiger (Frosted Flakes), but come on...it's cereal, not tiger chunks.
Downstairs Patrick (as I am Upstairs, or Bourgeois, Patrick) put me on to Balut Baby, the cartoon character for all your fertilized duck egg needs.
~(Bourgeois) Patrick
<< Home
