Sunday, August 01, 2004
The clock is ticking.
This time next week, I'll be almost to New Hampshire. This is good.
Before this time next week, before Friday, really, I have so much to do. This is not good.
Thesis numbers have been blowing up, nothing substantive has been getting done, and I'm just treading water at this point. At least my head hasn't gone under yet, I guess. I just really, really want to have this damn thing done before I leave. I know there will be revisions, but that's doable. Writing, not so much.
In less ulcer-inducing news, I got a letter from the German Bundestag Internship Program Thingy (the IPP, really) telling me I've made the second round and that I have an interview in New York on September 14. I've got to see if they can't reschedule that or let me go to another city, as that is the day of the primary in New Hampshire, aka when we find out who our opponent is. Maybe this isn't less ulcer-inducing after all.
I had a lovely night with Essam last night. We sat on the roof of the Green Room and did some people- and sunset-watching. When we first got up there, it was still hot, but it cooled down a bit (Texas-wise) and was very tolerable and rather enjoyable. We headed downstairs for dinner after a while, where I was very adventurous and tried two new foods. I ate quail, but couldn't really get into it as the bones put me off. I have to admit that I also thought the texture was strange- not exciting and interesting strange, but more like weird feeling in my mouth strange. I had sole for my main course. This may not seem very adventurous to some, but those of you who know me well know that I don't like fish at all. Not one tiny bit.
Except maybe I do now.
I rewarded myself for all this adventurousness with a very delicious creme broulee for dessert. Mhmmmm. (Insert Homer-like noise here) So tasty.
That's about it. I just finished recoding some more cases for that ^()$#%*^%$^&*!!$&*% thesis of mine. I think I'm going to take a little powernap before I brew some coffee and work on filling in some gaps in my first three chapters. Another long day of work ahead of me. Tomorrow I get to start doing all my car stuff as well. At least I dont' have to go into work tomorrow. That gives me some more free time.
Oh- one last side note. Yesterday I helped Nico move the last of his stuff from his apartment in his preparation to move to College Station on Thursday. I am sad to see him move, but I guess since I'm leaving too, I'd be selfish to want him to stay. Nico is one of the three nicest people I've ever known in my life. He is very sweet and kind and I love him to bits and pieces. Plus, I wouldn't be on my way to an interview with members of the Bundestag next month if not for Nico finding that program for me. Even though he only found it so that I would quit asking him to marry me so I could have an EU passport, I'm still most appreciative. I'm definitely looking forward to buying him a beer in Berlin when he comes to see me next summer.
Before this time next week, before Friday, really, I have so much to do. This is not good.
Thesis numbers have been blowing up, nothing substantive has been getting done, and I'm just treading water at this point. At least my head hasn't gone under yet, I guess. I just really, really want to have this damn thing done before I leave. I know there will be revisions, but that's doable. Writing, not so much.
In less ulcer-inducing news, I got a letter from the German Bundestag Internship Program Thingy (the IPP, really) telling me I've made the second round and that I have an interview in New York on September 14. I've got to see if they can't reschedule that or let me go to another city, as that is the day of the primary in New Hampshire, aka when we find out who our opponent is. Maybe this isn't less ulcer-inducing after all.
I had a lovely night with Essam last night. We sat on the roof of the Green Room and did some people- and sunset-watching. When we first got up there, it was still hot, but it cooled down a bit (Texas-wise) and was very tolerable and rather enjoyable. We headed downstairs for dinner after a while, where I was very adventurous and tried two new foods. I ate quail, but couldn't really get into it as the bones put me off. I have to admit that I also thought the texture was strange- not exciting and interesting strange, but more like weird feeling in my mouth strange. I had sole for my main course. This may not seem very adventurous to some, but those of you who know me well know that I don't like fish at all. Not one tiny bit.
Except maybe I do now.
I rewarded myself for all this adventurousness with a very delicious creme broulee for dessert. Mhmmmm. (Insert Homer-like noise here) So tasty.
That's about it. I just finished recoding some more cases for that ^()$#%*^%$^&*!!$&*% thesis of mine. I think I'm going to take a little powernap before I brew some coffee and work on filling in some gaps in my first three chapters. Another long day of work ahead of me. Tomorrow I get to start doing all my car stuff as well. At least I dont' have to go into work tomorrow. That gives me some more free time.
Oh- one last side note. Yesterday I helped Nico move the last of his stuff from his apartment in his preparation to move to College Station on Thursday. I am sad to see him move, but I guess since I'm leaving too, I'd be selfish to want him to stay. Nico is one of the three nicest people I've ever known in my life. He is very sweet and kind and I love him to bits and pieces. Plus, I wouldn't be on my way to an interview with members of the Bundestag next month if not for Nico finding that program for me. Even though he only found it so that I would quit asking him to marry me so I could have an EU passport, I'm still most appreciative. I'm definitely looking forward to buying him a beer in Berlin when he comes to see me next summer.
Comments:
<< Home
So you had quail and sole last night with Essam while I had something called a chicken and mushroom crepe with a bunched of coked-out art director
and model-types at the Adolphus. Oh what people watching! It was amazing, and while
I will refrain from dinner comparison, I *KNOW* I got the better end of the people-watching! My head is still reeling...from both the people-watching and from the liberally-imbibed gin and tonics and Bombay Sapphire martinis, extra dirty.
I share your opinion of quail. Too bony. I no longer live in a cave, so I no longer kill my dinner minutes before I eat it, therefore there is no reason to
put up with picking all those bones out for that little bit of meat.
I'll tell you about the 12 year old ordering Scotch neat and Cuba Libres from the open bar some other time...they do start them early in Dallas society. ~Patrick
Post a Comment
and model-types at the Adolphus. Oh what people watching! It was amazing, and while
I will refrain from dinner comparison, I *KNOW* I got the better end of the people-watching! My head is still reeling...from both the people-watching and from the liberally-imbibed gin and tonics and Bombay Sapphire martinis, extra dirty.
I share your opinion of quail. Too bony. I no longer live in a cave, so I no longer kill my dinner minutes before I eat it, therefore there is no reason to
put up with picking all those bones out for that little bit of meat.
I'll tell you about the 12 year old ordering Scotch neat and Cuba Libres from the open bar some other time...they do start them early in Dallas society. ~Patrick
<< Home
