Monday, July 26, 2004

Rhett, Murray, Ken, Philip, and Me and Patrick

Sweet Lord Jesus, I LOVE the Old 97's. 

My favorite band in the world is without a doubt the incredibly talented Old 97's.  They are unbelievably amazing, and put on a hell of a show.  Luckily for me, one of those awesome shows was in Dallas last night. 

They started off the set with "Rollerskate Skinny" ("I believe in love, but it don't believe in me"), but totally kicked it up a notch from the album.  Then they jumped into some old-school tunes, including one of my very favorites "Wish the Worst" and "Nightclub".  They threw in some of the new stuff from Drag it Up, the new album coming out tomorrow (!!!!!!!!!!!), including a song that they introduced as being written in Denton, and has a chorus about "going back to Denton-town."  How cool is that?  After playing tracks from every album in their catalog, the wonderful boys from Dallas came back for an encore.  And then they came back for another.  One encore had "Big Brown Eyes" (my all-time favorite) and they closed the second one with "Goin', Goin', Gone".

All in all, it was a seriously great show.  I was surprised that they played so many tracks from Satellite Rides.  For those of you who may not be as nuts about the 97's as I am, Satellite Rides is their most recent album.  It was a bit poppy and alienated some fans.  Aside from a few tracks that I really like, as a whole it's not my favorite album.  Last night though, they played a lot of tunes from Satellite Rides, and it prompted me to break my rule of not listening to the band's album after a show.  They pretty much played all my favorites off that album, except for "Question," but thankfully Megan called me from the 97's show in Austin when Rhett sang that one, so I still got to hear it.  ("Someday somebody's gonna ask you/ A question that you should say yes to/Once in your life/ Baby tonight, I've got a question for you") 

Rhett, whom I fell in love with when he was geeky, was super cute with his long shaggy hair, and played so intensely that he broke a string on his guitar- always a good sign.  There was plenty of hip-shaking (sigh) and the full-circle power strumming.  Murray was in his blissful-seeming happy singing and bass playing.  Ken did a fantastic job on lead guitar (as always) and even sang lead vocals on a sort-of Cajun/zydeco inspired song off the new album.  That was the first time I've ever heard him sing lead, and it's the first Old 97's track he's ever taken the lead on.  And Philip, oh Philip.  What a drummer.  That man is like the engine on the 97's train, just driving it ahead with strength and speed.  He seriously lays down some awesome beats.

In addition to the fabulous music and copious amounts of Shiner I drank, the definite bonus of the evening is that Patrick Michael McLeod went to the show with me, and I think he might have a bit of an understanding now of the wonder of the Old 97's.  My cheeks hurt this morning when I woke up from smiling through every single tune last night.

Comments:
I certainly have a better appreciation of the 97's now, Burlage. I maintain that any good music always should sound better live than it does on a studio album, and the 97's fit the bill last night, even though I didn't know any of their tunes beyond the "Wreck Your Life" tracks.

And it didn't hurt that my company was the cutest woman in the place, smiling for two hours straight and going round-for-round in the fashion deconstruction commentary.

Great stuff, Burlage. Thanks for the invite! ~Patrick
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?