Saturday, July 17, 2004
A Lovely Day in Dallas
Nico and I had quite a nice day in Dallas today. He's soaking up what he hasn't seen of Dallas yet before he heads off to College Station to start his PhD, and I was more than happy to come along for the adventure.
We started off at the Sixth Floor Museum. For my non-Texan readers, and not for Aaron Lavallee, since he doesn't read my blog and now owes me SIX beers, it is the museum devoted to the JFK assasination. The sixth floor is a permanent exhibit about JFK, his presidency, the assasination, the investigation, the aftermath, etc, and the seventh floor has rotating exhibits. When I was down there in March with AARON LAVALLEE (who can spend two weeks driving cross-country with me but can't be bothered to read my blog) the exhibit was of awesome pictures JFK's personal photographer took of him during the primary, general, and then the first year or so of his presidency. The exhibit now is on presidential campaign advertising. It had a little station set up with a nifty flat screen for every campain from 1952 through the present. Each year also had displays with discussions of the candidates, their camapaigns, the ads, and analysis on how it all went down. I learned quite a bit from the exhibit. My favorite commercials were from 1952. There were singing cartoons. I pretty much liked all the commercials from when we were fighting commies. I pretty much didn't like all the ones from 1976 on, as they all sounded the same. Flip-flopping, character attacks, taxes, it's all what we're hearing now.
After the Sixth Floor museum, we went to the conspiracy museum to find out who REALLY killed JFK. While I can definitely tell you that Oswald did not act alone, I can't really tell you who helped him or why. The museum was pretty interesting, although most of the displays did have a typo or two.
We rounded out the day with a trip to Kuby's, Dallas' very own German import store and restaurant. Nico introduced me to a delicious Hazelnut candy I had never tried before, and I stocked up on my standard Kinder bars. All in all it was quite a lovely day with a very good friend of mine.
We started off at the Sixth Floor Museum. For my non-Texan readers, and not for Aaron Lavallee, since he doesn't read my blog and now owes me SIX beers, it is the museum devoted to the JFK assasination. The sixth floor is a permanent exhibit about JFK, his presidency, the assasination, the investigation, the aftermath, etc, and the seventh floor has rotating exhibits. When I was down there in March with AARON LAVALLEE (who can spend two weeks driving cross-country with me but can't be bothered to read my blog) the exhibit was of awesome pictures JFK's personal photographer took of him during the primary, general, and then the first year or so of his presidency. The exhibit now is on presidential campaign advertising. It had a little station set up with a nifty flat screen for every campain from 1952 through the present. Each year also had displays with discussions of the candidates, their camapaigns, the ads, and analysis on how it all went down. I learned quite a bit from the exhibit. My favorite commercials were from 1952. There were singing cartoons. I pretty much liked all the commercials from when we were fighting commies. I pretty much didn't like all the ones from 1976 on, as they all sounded the same. Flip-flopping, character attacks, taxes, it's all what we're hearing now.
After the Sixth Floor museum, we went to the conspiracy museum to find out who REALLY killed JFK. While I can definitely tell you that Oswald did not act alone, I can't really tell you who helped him or why. The museum was pretty interesting, although most of the displays did have a typo or two.
We rounded out the day with a trip to Kuby's, Dallas' very own German import store and restaurant. Nico introduced me to a delicious Hazelnut candy I had never tried before, and I stocked up on my standard Kinder bars. All in all it was quite a lovely day with a very good friend of mine.
Comments:
<< Home
Dealy Plaza, Conspiracy Museum, Kuby's...hellafied! I'm going to be very interested to see how Herr Petrovsky finds life in scenic, tranquil, liberal College Station, Texas! I told him he always had a place to crash if he needed to escape Aggieland for the weekend.
By my count you are up to seven beers now. Either save 'em for one rough night or enjoy two nights of free beer! ~Patrick
Post a Comment
By my count you are up to seven beers now. Either save 'em for one rough night or enjoy two nights of free beer! ~Patrick
<< Home
