Tuesday, June 29, 2004
Depressing Internet Searches
I really don't know what made me go down this terribly dreary and none-too-uplifting search road, but I did it. Something made me want to look up David Gilmour (I think it's that he looks like someone else who's famous and I wanted to try and figure it out) which sent me to Syd Barrett which somehow got me to Stuart Sutcliffe which then got me to Nick Drake and then to Jeff Buckley. It is really only the last three which are depressing as Mr. Gilmour is still alive, and while I'm sure whatever has happened to Mr. Barrett is a tragedy of some kind, I am not really that big a Pink Floyd fan, and certainly not one well-versed enough to discuss such matters.
However, I can tell you that Stuart Sutcliffe died when he was 21. I don't know why I always thought he was a bit older than that. I should have known better as he was about John's age, and John was 18 or 19 when they went to Hamburg for the first time. All the clues were there. It just really weirded me out for some reason. Stu made me think of Nick Drake, another young, dead Englishman. I read a bit more about his life on the web, though I'd already researched him some before. I stumbled upon an open letter-type thing that someone had written to Nick Drake where he mentioned Jeff Buckley in the letter. That was the catalyst for my Jeff Buckley search, though that one didn't get very far. I decided that I couldn't take any more tragically dead young talented people.
I really hesitated to put this up as it reminds me of people who wear band t-shirts and have shrines in their bedrooms to Jim Morrison or something. I'm totally not one of them- I just got into a weird internet rut for a while. My twenty-five square foot Rhett Miller poster doesn't count as a shrine, either.
However, I can tell you that Stuart Sutcliffe died when he was 21. I don't know why I always thought he was a bit older than that. I should have known better as he was about John's age, and John was 18 or 19 when they went to Hamburg for the first time. All the clues were there. It just really weirded me out for some reason. Stu made me think of Nick Drake, another young, dead Englishman. I read a bit more about his life on the web, though I'd already researched him some before. I stumbled upon an open letter-type thing that someone had written to Nick Drake where he mentioned Jeff Buckley in the letter. That was the catalyst for my Jeff Buckley search, though that one didn't get very far. I decided that I couldn't take any more tragically dead young talented people.
I really hesitated to put this up as it reminds me of people who wear band t-shirts and have shrines in their bedrooms to Jim Morrison or something. I'm totally not one of them- I just got into a weird internet rut for a while. My twenty-five square foot Rhett Miller poster doesn't count as a shrine, either.
Comments:
<< Home
You're O.K., Burlage. You don't have a shrine. You can't have a proper shrine to someone unless they are quite dead (Morrisson, Drake, Buckley, Elliot Smith, Sinatra (my fav) et. al.), not long seen on this Earth (Elvis), or someone that you can get a tax exemption to worship or who enables your worship (God, Jesus, Muhammed, Buddha, et. al.).
So, it's not a Rhett Miller shrine in my book. My only question is: Why Miller and not a true Southern ballader like Patterson Hood? Huh?
So, it's not a Rhett Miller shrine in my book. My only question is: Why Miller and not a true Southern ballader like Patterson Hood? Huh?
McLeod-
Your division of shrines makes me put you in the Elvis conspiracy theory category. Are you also anxiously awaiting the return of Tupac? Machiavelli, man. Come on.
As per your 'balladeer' comment- obviously you do not listen to the beautiful lyrics of Rhett Miller's songs or you would recognize him for the poet that he is. Hmph. That's all I have to say about that.
Your division of shrines makes me put you in the Elvis conspiracy theory category. Are you also anxiously awaiting the return of Tupac? Machiavelli, man. Come on.
As per your 'balladeer' comment- obviously you do not listen to the beautiful lyrics of Rhett Miller's songs or you would recognize him for the poet that he is. Hmph. That's all I have to say about that.
That's one thing that the blogware development community needs to work on...some way to edit comments without posting completely new ones. I can be such a spelling curmudgeon at times that it drives me nuts when I mis-spell something...like "balladeer."
No offense meant to your Rhett, Scarlett (see, I know the REAL reason you heart him!), but Patterson Hood is more my speed: The gritty life, the joys most folks better off consider so trivial that they don't even register on them, the failures that each threaten to break your spirit, the getting through it all and embracing life "by the drop" as SRV once sang.
I should give Rhett a listen. It has been a while.
No offense meant to your Rhett, Scarlett (see, I know the REAL reason you heart him!), but Patterson Hood is more my speed: The gritty life, the joys most folks better off consider so trivial that they don't even register on them, the failures that each threaten to break your spirit, the getting through it all and embracing life "by the drop" as SRV once sang.
I should give Rhett a listen. It has been a while.
Yet another witty comment lost to the vagrancies of the Firefox transition! Doh!
I wrote something about how I thought that blog comments needed better editing capabilities since I can be such a spelling curmudgeon sometimes yet I frequently mis-spell words like "balladeer."
I also blathered on about how I know your secret heart's desire for Rhett Miller is because his name is Rhett and you are Scarlett! Ah-ha! I still prefer Patterson Hood's hard scrabble blue collar roots rock, but I must admit it has been a while since I have Rhett or the 97s a listen.
Mozilla + Debian: A Winning Combination
~Patrick
I wrote something about how I thought that blog comments needed better editing capabilities since I can be such a spelling curmudgeon sometimes yet I frequently mis-spell words like "balladeer."
I also blathered on about how I know your secret heart's desire for Rhett Miller is because his name is Rhett and you are Scarlett! Ah-ha! I still prefer Patterson Hood's hard scrabble blue collar roots rock, but I must admit it has been a while since I have Rhett or the 97s a listen.
Mozilla + Debian: A Winning Combination
~Patrick
Either blogger is flaky or every one of my browsers on both my production systems just don't want to play nice with your blog, Burlage. I SWEAR that I thought that first comment was lost which is why the second comment is there...
~Patrick
Post a Comment
~Patrick
<< Home

