Sunday, May 16, 2004
Not with a bang, but a whimper.
So tonight I realized that I am old. I am really old and lame. What could make me realize this? The worst Saturday night ever.
I went out tonight for the first time in forever. By 'going out' I don't just mean leaving the house, I mean making plans to see a show or two and meeting up with friends. Well, I was late to the first show because I sort of accidentally took a three-hour nap. Then when I got there, I heard three songs before poor Ms. Franny got too sick to sing anymore. I then went to have ice cream at Beth Marie's (on the other side of the square from the venue for the Yee-Haws) with my lady friends. A woman there asked if we'd take a survey for her class, and of course we obliged. I mean, we are really good at sharing our opinions. The survey was about cohabitation which only made me realize I'm never going to cohabitate with anyone besides my dog. After leaving the ice cream place, Alicia and I were going to go to Rubber Gloves to catch a show, but no one was there yet. We went back to her house to watch SNL (apparently Jimmy Fallon's last) and then went back to RGRS. We actually paid six bucks and went in and subsequently were treated to the worst thrash band ever. They also had a woman playing sound effects. Like she stood up on stage with little control boxes and made spaceship noises. We left in embarassment. On the way out, thinking we'd be coming back for Jetscreamer (it was only 12:30 or so) we asked the door guy if we could come back later. His response was "Please come back." For those of you not currently living here in Denton, just be glad you don't have to watch the slow and painful death Rubber Gloves is experiencing. Alicia and I went to a party where there were no cute boys and the band was pretty lame. I didn't know anyone there (since they all looked like they were under 21) and Alicia didn't like the people that she knew there. We left that party and went to the park. We had a lot of good laughs about our awful night while getting motion sickness and cold bottoms from the wet swings. I took Alicia home and headed to my home thinking that my awful night was over and couldn't get any worse. Oh, I was wrong.
I broke the toilet in my bathroom.
Why is all of this so horrible? Well, the toilet is pretty obvious. The rest of it is bad for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, I hadn't been to a show in forever. Tonight I was supposed to go to two. I came out with 1/2 of a show in total. (I hope Franny feels better soon) I had to witness the sad decline of what was once the coolest venue in Denton with the best bands coming through. I realized that I'm out of the 'hip' loop in Denton, which in a way is fine by me because I really don't like all those 80s clothes or the Paris Hilton look anyway. Why on earth do people voluntarily wear heels?
Most importantly I realized (for the eightieth time) that I'm really ready to be out of Denton, but I'm having a hard time finding a way to get out. So lame. And I didn't even have good tunes to distract me from all of this.
I went out tonight for the first time in forever. By 'going out' I don't just mean leaving the house, I mean making plans to see a show or two and meeting up with friends. Well, I was late to the first show because I sort of accidentally took a three-hour nap. Then when I got there, I heard three songs before poor Ms. Franny got too sick to sing anymore. I then went to have ice cream at Beth Marie's (on the other side of the square from the venue for the Yee-Haws) with my lady friends. A woman there asked if we'd take a survey for her class, and of course we obliged. I mean, we are really good at sharing our opinions. The survey was about cohabitation which only made me realize I'm never going to cohabitate with anyone besides my dog. After leaving the ice cream place, Alicia and I were going to go to Rubber Gloves to catch a show, but no one was there yet. We went back to her house to watch SNL (apparently Jimmy Fallon's last) and then went back to RGRS. We actually paid six bucks and went in and subsequently were treated to the worst thrash band ever. They also had a woman playing sound effects. Like she stood up on stage with little control boxes and made spaceship noises. We left in embarassment. On the way out, thinking we'd be coming back for Jetscreamer (it was only 12:30 or so) we asked the door guy if we could come back later. His response was "Please come back." For those of you not currently living here in Denton, just be glad you don't have to watch the slow and painful death Rubber Gloves is experiencing. Alicia and I went to a party where there were no cute boys and the band was pretty lame. I didn't know anyone there (since they all looked like they were under 21) and Alicia didn't like the people that she knew there. We left that party and went to the park. We had a lot of good laughs about our awful night while getting motion sickness and cold bottoms from the wet swings. I took Alicia home and headed to my home thinking that my awful night was over and couldn't get any worse. Oh, I was wrong.
I broke the toilet in my bathroom.
Why is all of this so horrible? Well, the toilet is pretty obvious. The rest of it is bad for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, I hadn't been to a show in forever. Tonight I was supposed to go to two. I came out with 1/2 of a show in total. (I hope Franny feels better soon) I had to witness the sad decline of what was once the coolest venue in Denton with the best bands coming through. I realized that I'm out of the 'hip' loop in Denton, which in a way is fine by me because I really don't like all those 80s clothes or the Paris Hilton look anyway. Why on earth do people voluntarily wear heels?
Most importantly I realized (for the eightieth time) that I'm really ready to be out of Denton, but I'm having a hard time finding a way to get out. So lame. And I didn't even have good tunes to distract me from all of this.