Monday, May 24, 2004
I am officially old, and I am never having kids.
Two stories for your entertainment/amusement:
1. A tale of perception
So last night I took the girls (Peanut and Emma) to the park for a walk. We had to wait till it had cooled down enough to be outside for more than five minutes. This is especially important if you're a dog, seeing as how you can't sweat. So we get out of my car and start heading to the path through the park when we are literally swarmed by ten little (under 8) kids. They are all telling me about their dogs and wanting to pet my dogs and the insanity of it all was tremendous. One little girl told me "Mrs. Gramling's daughter is allergic to dogs. Mrs. Gramling is a teacher at Woodrow Wilson Elementary." I told her that I knew Mrs. Gramling because I went to Woodrow Wilson. She then turned around to her mother and said "Is Mrs. Gramling that old?" It made me laugh. I know that to little kids everyone over 15 looks old. At least that is what I'm telling myself.
2. No kids for me
Since I have two dogs right now, I have twice as much to do in the morning to take care of them before I go to work. It's not that easy though. See, Emma eats different dog food than Peanut, who is on a low-fat diet. I have to feed them separately as they only want to eat eachother's food if they are down at the same time. I then have to walk both dogs, but Emma is much more energetic and wants to walk farther and faster than does Peanut. This leads to me walking around the neighborhood with one arm pulled forward by Emma and one pulled back by my darling little Peanut. When we get home, I have to brush Emma as she is shedding. Then I have to pet Peanut for a few minutes because she is very sensitive and worries I like Emma more. Then I have to put down more water as they've already drunk the whole bowl post-walk. Then I take a shower and let them outside one more time only to leave ten minutes late for work and without my breakfast. All this for two dogs! I couldn't imagine if this was for two actual human beings. They would also have to be dressed and bathed and transported. Seriously- who has time for all that? Don't get me wrong, I love them both to bits and wouldn't want a life without dogs. It just really hit me today how much work it is to take care of someone else.
1. A tale of perception
So last night I took the girls (Peanut and Emma) to the park for a walk. We had to wait till it had cooled down enough to be outside for more than five minutes. This is especially important if you're a dog, seeing as how you can't sweat. So we get out of my car and start heading to the path through the park when we are literally swarmed by ten little (under 8) kids. They are all telling me about their dogs and wanting to pet my dogs and the insanity of it all was tremendous. One little girl told me "Mrs. Gramling's daughter is allergic to dogs. Mrs. Gramling is a teacher at Woodrow Wilson Elementary." I told her that I knew Mrs. Gramling because I went to Woodrow Wilson. She then turned around to her mother and said "Is Mrs. Gramling that old?" It made me laugh. I know that to little kids everyone over 15 looks old. At least that is what I'm telling myself.
2. No kids for me
Since I have two dogs right now, I have twice as much to do in the morning to take care of them before I go to work. It's not that easy though. See, Emma eats different dog food than Peanut, who is on a low-fat diet. I have to feed them separately as they only want to eat eachother's food if they are down at the same time. I then have to walk both dogs, but Emma is much more energetic and wants to walk farther and faster than does Peanut. This leads to me walking around the neighborhood with one arm pulled forward by Emma and one pulled back by my darling little Peanut. When we get home, I have to brush Emma as she is shedding. Then I have to pet Peanut for a few minutes because she is very sensitive and worries I like Emma more. Then I have to put down more water as they've already drunk the whole bowl post-walk. Then I take a shower and let them outside one more time only to leave ten minutes late for work and without my breakfast. All this for two dogs! I couldn't imagine if this was for two actual human beings. They would also have to be dressed and bathed and transported. Seriously- who has time for all that? Don't get me wrong, I love them both to bits and wouldn't want a life without dogs. It just really hit me today how much work it is to take care of someone else.